Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Royal Palace

So Kumasi really has been great, I have totally enjoyed being here. I figured out why the house that I have been staying in is so nice.. turns out my host dad is the Chief of the city that we live. Its kinda a big deal. Chiefs are very respected, powerful people in their towns, and I have been living in his palace!! How cool! And I know that I already said this, but they are sooo nice. Today they gave me a new dress, and it is beautiful!! Its green and brown batik :) I love them! Oh and you what is the weirdest, they have two daughters who are living in Colorado... Small world.

Today was our last day of Twi classes! I have enjoyed taking the classes and learning the language but I am happy to see the classes go. lol. Twi is a very difficult language. It is tonal, so different pitch on the same word can have 3 or 4 different meanings. We had our last test today. It went alright.

Tomorrow we will be leaving for the village. I am really excited for it. I have been having a great time and have already learned so much, but I am looking forward to escaping city life for a while. Then we have a 5 week travel adventure where we will get to see some sweet wildlife and national parks!! I am finding it quite difficult to contain my excitement!

In the village we will be doing a mini ISP (research project) I am not sure what I want to do for this one, but I am thinking about studying traditional religion for my big paper.. They have so many traditional religions here which are quickly disappearing or being overlooked by westerners and other scholars and inadequate. But it is just a thought...

Any way, I think that is all for now. I don't know how much Internet I will have in the next few weeks, but I will try to keep you as up to date as possible. Sending my love!

No comments:

Post a Comment